Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Great Back to School Ideas


I know, I know! We still have almost 4 more weeks of summer left and I am already talking school supplies! Yet I have to because I came across some amazing ideas I have used in the past or have found on my own being a home school mom to my youngest and a hybrid to my highschooler. I thought I would share them because in this economy of trouble times, who couldn't use the help!

1. TARGET ~ Besides being one of my favorite places to shop, Target has their school supplies out already. HINT: Don't wait to buy these, the prices will not drop, they will only run out and then go up! Made that big old mistake last year! I found crayola crayons for .24, index cards for .47, composition books for those science fair projects and spelling words for .50, pens for .50 and the list goes on and on.

2. Dry Erase ~ These work great for things like doing spelling words in the car while taking your teen to school. If they make a mistake, simply smudge your finger across the wrong letter and no re-writing is necessary. This works well for little ones because rewriting is something they don't like to do.

I also found my teen likes to use them for working out difficult Algebra problems in different colors for different operations, like red for adding, green for multiplying, so she can check her work and keep from being confused. I refuse to start school without a fresh set. Plus I can keep track of the subjects she needs to complete for my homeschooled daughter on the board and she can check them off or wipe them off when complete.

3. Preparing for back to school. One of the best tips I have gotten this year was from a home school mom whose son was taking the initiative to check his supplies before school started. He pulled out all his pens, pencils, markers, crayons, and even dry erase and made sure that the ones that had dried out, were tossed. Nothing spells grief to a child then starting coloring and the marker runs out of ink. I thought this was a great idea and it also helps with buying them early if you need to when the prices are still on sale.

4. Frustrated spellers? I had a great response last year and the year prior with washable window markers. Nothing says FUN like writing on the windows or patio doors. When it's all done, simply wipe off with water or Windex. Kids like writing on different surfaces and it makes it fun to write on things you don't normally get to!

I will post more tips next Wednesday, but if you have some, please leave a comment so we can all share in the great ideas all of you have!!!

12 comments:

Andrea said...

Great tips.
Thank you for being faithful to follow my blogs and leave heartfelt comments.
Blessings, andrea

PS: i know you have endured difficulty with some of the blogs. Another blogger told me to down load Mozilla Fox Fire as a browser. I did it and I can now access "everyone's" blogs with ease. You may want to check it out. It works so much better than explorer.

Amy said...

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.
God's blessings to you today,
Amy

Jolanthe said...

Kat -

If you email me directly, I can answer the questions you had! :)

Jolanthe

Jolanthe said...

And I second the move to firefox - LOVE IT!!

RCUBEs said...

Great tips...always...May you never run out :) Have a great Wednesday sister Kat!

Laurie said...

Great tips. I am going to get some markers for the windows. Thanks for your encouragements on my blog. Again, you are a great mom and neat lady:)

Carol said...

Wonderful ideas! Thank you for sharing them. I'll be in the U.S. for a couple of weeks and will be stocking up. I love that time of year... when you get all that new, fun stuff.

Where do you find the washable window markers?

Love and Blessings,
Carol

Alleluiabelle said...

Hi Sweet Sister,

I want to thank you sooo much for coming to visit me at my site and praying for my husband and myself. Your comments and prayers mean so much to me.

I was having an extreme problem with Internet Explorer. I wasn't able to get on a lot of blog sites that I used to be able to. I still have Internet Explorer, but I have also downloaded Mozilla Fox Fire and have that one as my initial browser. Now I am able to get onto everyone's blogs. I went for quite a while before I decided to download it, but now I'm so very happy that I did.

You are a special woman and I'm so happy that I'm getting to know you more and more.

My love to you,
Alleluiabelle

Just Be Real said...

I myself may be interested in the "Frustrated Speller" part just for myself.

You did a lot of research here. Great ideas Kat.

Yes, I agree Firefox is much better than IE.

Blessings.

Loren said...

thanks for these great tips! I love the dry erase idea for spelling and the window markers...how fun!

and I am in agreement with the firefox thing too! I was having so many problems seeing blogs and saw this exact conversation going on. Downloaded firefox and haven't had another problem since! Love it!

and love you!

christy rose said...

Thanks for the research and great tips for school supplies Kat!

And Firefox rocks! :)

Have a great day!

Christy

Heart2Heart said...

Carol,

I got my washable markers from Target as well. I am not sure what the price was but I got them about 2 years ago!

They also work great on bathroom mirrors to write wonderful sweet messages to your kids, "like clean this bathroom! Love Mom"

Andrea: I downloaded Firefox this morning and we will see how it goes. Last time I had so many virus related issues I removed it after having my computer cleaned!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat