Sunday, July 12, 2009

Feeling Older Than Dirt Today!


Hey remember how we chatted via my blog yesterday about how I wasn't going to let things get me down and I was going to get out and enjoy all that life has to offer?

Um, perhaps not all in the course of one day?!

At least that is what I felt like last night after retiring to the sanity of my old familiar bed.

Old, older than dirt, old.

I mean feeling every bone in your body ache kinda old.

Old like you should start slow and work you way up slow, old!

The day started off brilliantly (Sounds like a line from a Harry Potter film, I can hear Ron say Brilliantly to Harry, sorry)with a great cup of coffee. We started things off slowly and didn't rush to get to making plans on our day. It was going to be a sort of challenge to just take whatever opportunity passed our way and say YES!

Well we decided if our kids were taking their roller skating lessons, we would join them for a short two hour skate afterwards. It has been about 5 years since I skated, loved doing it at the beach and something I loved since I was a teen in high school. Hubby hadn't done it in about 10 years, pre-Kailee days and our last memory of that was roller blading at the beach.

Sorry but I am a fan of the old quad wheels not inlines. My ankles and coordination skills aren't that great much less balancing all my extra weight I now have that I didn't when I was a teen.

Age kinda does that to you.

Well our kids were just tickled pink with that idea of watching mom and dad skate with them. I must say we weren't the only ones about 5 other parents were there and a bunch of kids that could literally skate circles around the things we did back in my high school days.

After about an hour we sat inhaling large quantities of water and wheezing in and out, trying to rest between a game that was in the works of being started.

I looked at my watch, then at Steve and said, "You know, we've only been doing this for an hour?"

I think he seriously stopped breathing and his eyes enlarged in his head, as bead of sweat continued to roll down his neck. "Your kidding right?"

"Nope, we still have an hour left!" I said wiping my own sweat from my forehead and fanning myself with my hand.

I think we both at that moment in time questioned our sanity but threw caution to the wind anyway.

Fast forward to the end of the night, once gravity takes control and time begins to wear thin at those muscles that haven't been put to good use in way way too long. Oh, man! Were we ever sore!

Sore, aching, plagued with enormous pain, racked with agonizing muscle aches. I am sure you get the picture.

It wasn't pretty, but we both looked at each other before toasting over water filled glasses and muscle relaxers, "It was fun wasn't it?"

"Yup, want to do it again?"

"Absolutely, if we can manage this about 4 hours a week, we'd have exercising just down pat."

"Cheers to next week. I'll call the pharmacy and refill these before we run out."

Ah all in a day's work and just loving life even if it feels like it's going to kill us.

By the way, Steve only fell once on his inlines and I managed to avoid the floor! Guess we aren't so old after all!! :)

8 comments:

Andrea said...

I know what you mean...I am feeling older than dirt today, too!
Great post. Hope you are not too sore this week.
Blessings,andrea

Mari said...

You're still younger than me - last time I went to the church skating party I didn't even try!

Crown of Beauty said...

What fun, and never mind feeling old. It's the fun part that counts! Hope you get to do it again next week.

Sandra said...

I think we all go through those days where we feel older than dirt.

Hope you're having a great weekend.

Mich said...

Too funny!

I feel your pain. We are not getting any younger are we?

RCUBEs said...

Funny post! Feeling old? Ahh. That's a norm for me since I hurt my neck 12 yrs.ago. But I hope popping a couple of pain meds will help you get through the next skating date :)It sounds like a great exercise! And bottomline, you had fun despite the aches :) God bless.

God a Have Faith said...

It was very fun skating with you, although I could do without the pain like you said. I must say that I haven't had that much fun in a long time! Even though I fell once and almost fell more times than I could count, I had alot of fun skating with you!

You are definately right about working our way up to getting back into shape. 2 hours a week is good for me for now. I am going to have to try regular skates as my right ankle still hurts.

Cheers to next week.

I might have to stuff my pants with Charmin! LOL...

Love you!

christy rose said...

Wow! Inlines? I remember roller skating as a kid! I loved it! It has been a couple of years for me too! I loved it in my younger years. But I am not sure about inlines. I like the idea of four wheels too! Great Job Kat and Steve! That will help keep you young for sure! ;)
Christy