Sunday, October 11, 2009

Blog Award of the Week ~ Off The Beaten Trek


Today is Sunday, the day of our Lord and I thought it only fitting to use this day to award a very special lady and prayer warrior the Blog Award of the Week. Rosel at Off the Beaten Trek has been one of my very first followers and has left me a comment on every single post I have written which has been well over 200 at this point! She remains dedicated to saving souls each night at her job as a Corrections Nurse in addition to becoming one of the most dedicated prayer warriors in the blogging world. She has graciously accepted the award and the opportunity for all of us to get to know her more through an interview we did this week.

1. Where did you come up with the name Off the Beaten Trek and why did you start blogging?

- I always loved to write since I was little. I knew I wanted to write a story but about what, I didn't know. About who, I didn't know. Until the Lord found me and then, suddenly I felt that purpose to do this for Him and the least I can do to share the Good News with so many lost people still, needing salvation. After giving this to Him, I knew I could be His tool by blogging about something I do and relating it to what I learn from my walk with Him...Walk...That was the keyword that first came to my mind. A light went on...I had been WALKING for so long - aimless. Until in this long journey of my life, I found that one, less-traveled road "off the beaten trek" that looked so narrow and difficult yet I knew would take me to that promise of eternal hope at the end. So, I liked that "off the beaten trek" as the title of my blog.

2. How did you come to know God?

- My mother was raised Catholic so, being religious, she would take me early in the morning to go to the church. She would make me wear nice clothes she made herself for me [she was a dressmaker], except I hated the lace part either on the bottom or the neck area that would made me itch. She later became a born-again Christian [thank You God] before passing away. Despite the dreadful laces, she was the one who instilled that little seed of "faith" that God took care of at the passing of seasons.

3. Share one of your favorite childhood memories.

You know when you're 80 like me now, it's not easy to recall...Hmmm...My paternal grandma had rice fields but one time had watermelons planted. When my dad and I and other cousins would visit her, she would take us all to the middle of the field where there was a little, cozy hut. There, she would cut those juicy, sweet watermelons just harvested from that field. I enjoyed simple things like those.

4. What is your favorite memory of your mom and why is it so special to you?

My mom was the BEST cook! And that was one thing I truly miss - her cooking! Her home-cooked meals always tasted good because she always stirred love in them. Despite being tired from sewing clothes morning until night, she would never forget to cook something special for her family. Every time my brothers would come home from studying in the big city, or during those holidays like Christmas or when my dad would come home from being away [he was a Radio Operator working with Greek shipping lines at that time], she would give extra time to make something special for all of us.

In the small town where we lived, whenever they celebrated their annual feast, I remember my mom would take out the biggest "wok" in the world and would prepare her wonderful dishes there. As it was customary that during the feast, relatives and friends from other towns were expected to visit and eat and celebrate together. They all loved my mom's cooking...I am not a great cook like her, but when I helped her prepare with all those dishes, it had brought us closer together and I miss those times. It was just her and I, cutting, dicing, cleaning, rinsing, tasting, chatting...

5. If you were to find an old toy box in your attic, what toys would you remember most fondly and why?

Being poor, I don't remember having lots of toys. And growing up with 5 brothers, I don't remember playing much with dolls. I do remember we played lots of "hide and seek" and other games that involved us, siblings. So, it was more family time for me than having a particular toy. And it was great!

6. Describe a time in your life when you feel God led you in an unusual way.

I had a neck injury as I worked in Orthopedics for 10 years. I was in severe pain everytime I would start my shift, despite going treatments and therapies. Until my treating physician told me, "you better get out of Nursing." I was in tears when I got home. I started rambling [to Him]. "How could I get out just like that when I enjoyed helping people. I had been a hard working nurse on that floor. I worked without complaining. What now God? What now? I can't work. I'm in pain...Where do I go from here?" As I lamented in front of my monitor, I typed "correction" somehow [at that time, I didn't even know that correctional nursing exists], out came a facility hiring nurses ASAP!!! It was scary to change from hospital into that kind of setting. But I felt peace when I started applying for that job.

During my interview, when it would take for them to do background checks for many weeks, I didn't know mine was done already. As I was pulling my car into the driveway after that interview, the phone in the garage rang and when I picked it up, the lady at the other end of the line, asked me, "So, can you start tomorrow?" That was the highest supervisor in that correctional facility [where I am working still]. How can it be possible that I would get hired just like that even without having an experience as a correctional nurse, but everything just points out to His divine intervention. I knew "He was for real" and I knew that it was the place where He wanted me to be at that point. I was still crying...but that time, with tears of joy!!!

7. Did you ever go to a dance? If so, tell us about it.

I am a "homebody". I just love to stay at home and not attend parties, gatherings, etc. The only dance I could remember was when my hubby first started dating me. We went to go out for a little drink [and dance] with some of my cousins and friends. When the sweet music started playing, he asked me if I wanted to dance with him. I'm always a "shy" girl but at that time, I wanted to know him more. There was something about us being close as we slowly danced that I felt like "this is the one"...Maybe because he showed he was a gentleman :) ....May I add this statement as an answer to your question no. 6?

8. If you could go anywhere on a second honeymoon, where would you go and why?

My hubby and I visited Denmark back in 1994. I had been there, too in 1988. There is something about Europe that makes me want to go back again. Seeing those huge castles feels like I'm in a different time zone. I love those roads built with cobblestones. The simplicity of eating bread with coffee or wine and cheese...I love simple things. I love chocolates, too and I think European chocolates are the best!

9. What were your summers like as a child?

Magical...Because I loved to fantasize and weave dreams...Lots of playing with other kids from neighborhood...

10. What is the best movie you have ever seen?

Being a Christian now, we tend to screen what we watch. My family and I truly enjoyed "Fireproof" because it has so many messages that would really help couples in a shaky marriage. And it was clean kind of movie that our kids can watch it with us. And even if we are not having problems with our own marriage, some of the scenes reminded us to re-fan the flame in our hearts and strive to work together to make that light not die down. I love the fact that it pointed to Christ for without Him in the center of our marriages, it would really be hard to fix any gap.

So as you can see she is a wonderful wife, mom and friend to everyone she meets. You will never find a more loyal supporter in the blogging world as part of your new Christian family. Please take the time to head on over to her blog and let her know how this interview touched you and if you aren't already a follower of hers, please do so today at Off the Beaten Trek!

23 comments:

Saleslady371 said...

I'm so glad you honored Rosel today, Kat, with this interview. I love this precious blogger and more importantly, sister-in-the-Lord! I wanted to know more personal things and you provided...thank you!

Andrea said...

Thanks...it is always great to get to know our bloggy friends a little better. Rosel is such a sweetheart and a dear friend to all of us. If any of your followers are NOT following Rosel...they do NOT know what they are missing!

Blessings, andrea

RCUBEs said...

Sister Kat, I'm taking a quick break and I just want to thank you for doing this. I am deeply honored and humbled by what you said about me, same with precious sisters Mary and Andrea. But to God be the glory! I love that verse in your header...so I am praying that over you...God bless. May you have a wonderful week ahead!

Mich said...

Loved the interview...

He & Me + 3 said...

What a sweet blogger and a great interview she had. I will have to pop over and say hi to her.

LisaShaw said...

I too love Rosel. She's a treat, a blessing, an encourager and a true heart for the LORD.

Thanks Kat for sharing even more of her with us today.

Blessings and love.

Parsley said...

Isn't it great to get to know our new blogging buddies.

I really feel God brings people together for a reason; to bless each other.

Beth E. said...

Rosel seems like such a precious lady! I'm going to check out her blog right now...thanks for featuring her!

Pam said...

That is such a sweet interview. I'll have to check out her blog. Thanks for sharing.

COUNTRY MOM said...

Kat, What a great post... I am so glad you gave this award to Rosel. She is an awesome lady and Sister in Prayer. Many Blessings to you. Audrey

SusanD said...

Thank you so much for introducing Rosel. I enjoyed the interview and reading her blog posts. She has such a wonderful, sweet heart. Have a great week. Blessings, SusanD

Edie said...

Before I read this I've been meaning to tell you that I love your new header. It's so warm and inviting.

Now I'm going to go read your interview.:)

Edie said...

Great interview Kat. Now I'm going to go meet Rosel.

Elle Bee said...

Thank you for the introduction! I'm off to visit her.
Elle

Loren said...

OH Kat....what a wonderful interview! I can't imagine someone NOT knowing Rosel!! What is blogging without Rosel???? She has commented on every post I have as well and I cannot even imagine the bloggy world without her! What a beautiful woman of God she is who lives out the WORD with her life and her actions everyday!!! Thankyou for letting us know more about her and her childhood and am I reading that right? Did she say she is 80?? that can't be right!!

Love you Kat and just want to say you have the most wonderful heart and this bloggy world wouldn't be the same or as beautiful without you either!

momstheword said...

I popped over to your friend's blog and totally forgot to leave you a comment! Thank you for introducing her to us!

I love your header picture. Makes me want to sit out there and sip some lemonade or something!

Denise said...

I love Rosel, she is so precious. Great interview.

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zach and Beth said...

Thank you so much for this. She is such an inspiration. I truly enjoyed reading her blog.

Joyce said...

It was nice to meet this lovely lady thru your interview Kat...I popped over to her blog to visit.

Hope you have a great week...you're such an encourager in the blog world!

Deborah Ann said...

Yeah, Kat! What a great idea, how thoughtful that you interview bloggers. This one, in particular I enjoyed reading, because I LOVE Rosel's posts. She has an anointed way with words, and really packs a powerful punch that hits me every time.

Prayed for you this morning Kat, and the tears were flowing. I sensed such a sweet spirit here. God loves you sooo much, girl! I'm praying your lonely week flies by, and is over before you know it!

Love,
Debby

christy rose said...

Kat, I am so glad that you honored Rosel this week. I love her so much! I am so glad that so many others are getting to know and love her too.
Thanks for this God idea of introducing your friends to us. I have met many wonderful blogging friends through you.
Love,
Christy

Keystone said...

I Googled "Off The Beaten Trek" to read rcubes moments ago. I paid no attention and just clicked,
It led me here!

I read extensively online (and comment just as much) and NO ONE deserves these accolades as much as Rosel.

I was astonished at a catholic background (me too), and the similarities in growing up, though my mom had 12 kids Rosel! Playing games in a neighborhood of at least 70 kids was an evening social call.
We DID things together as children.

Now, if rcubes thinks this blog is worthy of her comment daily, then I must Bookmark this spot too.

Our Correctional Nurse is always too modest to accept praise, though the Lord thinks she should have more and often, I am deeply sure!

Thank you for taking up the call, and exposing to the world what wonderful people are really like in person.

She is just like Charmin'.... I could squeeze her a hug daily!

I really enjoyed this post, especially after entering by accident. (Is that, given in the post, age right??)
Oh my!