Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sand Castles



Sometimes the best places for some of my writing ideas happen in the weirdest places. In almost all the cases, I don't have anything to capture those incredible thoughts and have to try and commit them to memory and hope I can remember all the details when I do have time to capture them. Today's insight came to you compliments of my shower time. No place for a pen or paper here, but thankfully I was able to recall most of the thoughts and along the way of discussing it with my hubby, God intervened and made it much better.

I was wondering why so many "Christians" chose not to vote in this last election. I figured some didn't like one candidate over the other, or some were divided on the issues at hand, but when you go back and really look at the number of "Christians" registered to vote and how many chose simply not to vote at all, why didn't they?

I know some "Christians" who did took several issues to heart and simply voted for the one that most closely matched those beliefs that they respected and agreed with. Yet, you can't over look the fact that so many chose to simply not vote, even though it is one of the most precious rights, we as citizens have. The more I puzzled over this issue and began talking about it to my husband, we agreed that most people labeled the candidates who were running for office. The two major candidates, one republican and one democrat. One most belief is a Muslim, the other a Mormon. One believed in the liberal rights of everyone, and the other stuck to a more strict system of family and moral values. At least that is how I saw it. Remember this is my shower conversation.

Then I started to think back to what would I do, if I had to give an account to why I voted the way I did before God, what would my argument be? Just for the record I did vote, but I will keep that one for another day. It's not the point of today's blog post. Yet, when I thought long and hard about it, what would I say to God? Well, you see God, I voted for the one that most closely matched the family values I stood for, even though I don't believe in the same religious ideas that they do. ( I don't think God was impressed with my answer in my mind). So now I found myself with a conflicted conscience. Why did I vote for someone I didn't agree with that stood for the same religious beliefs I did. Not some, but the most important one of all. In my opinion looking back, neither candidate recognizes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Wow! That statement alone completely convicted me. How could I ever stand before God with my decision and say confidently I made the best decision possible knowing I had to vote. Did I really have to vote?  If I stood before two evil candidates who were going to decide for the most part how my city would be ran, (I'm not labeling either of them evil) and neither of them believed in Jesus Christ, as the Son of God, then how could I chose either? Wouldn't my best choice be NONE if that is all I had to select from?

Knowing that NO true Christian will ever make it to the office of president because of the sheer number of people in the world that simply want things their way, what can I do then? How can I possibly survive as I watch Christian principles continue to erode every single day. (NOW comes the God moment, ready?)

God reminded me that we, as Christians, are sand castle builders on a beach. The world we live in is the ocean. So taking on that analogy, I am sure you can remember what it was like as a child building a sand castle on the beach (see picture above). When we were little, our only concern was to gather sand in a bucket and dump it on the beach. We weren't thinking about the water that would eventually come and take back our castle. But as a child, we got upset when that happened. As baby Christians who are just beginning to live in the world, that is the beginnings of our walk of faith. We don't know much but we try to do our best. Unfortunately unless we stick to it, we get washed about by the first or second wave that comes along.




As we grow and mature as Christians, we learn better ways to try to beat the waves from washing away our sand castles. We get bigger buckets, shovels, friends, and even build our sand castles when the tide is low so we have more time. However, no matter how big we build it, the waves will come and slowly begin to erode our castle away. Wisdom is like that. It takes time to develop. It takes persistent and a willingness to learn from our mistakes. But no matter what happens, the ocean is a much bigger place than our sand castle. This is why, as Christians, we are continually being bombarded by things that go against the very nature of our faith. No matter how strong we stand, we succumb to judging others, (call it voicing our opinions), being angry, losing our patience, becoming bitter, holding grudges, I'm sure you get the picture. Each of those is a wave on our sand castle of faith, slowly eroding away til we fall apart grain by grain.



This is why, for us as Christians, the battle against the world will always be difficult. There are always things attempting to erode away our faith. No matter how much we know we need to show grace, love, patience, joy, forgiveness, self control, gentleness, we lose it some times. The waves come. But as great castle builders we are, we learn and we begin to try and build once again til the day comes where there are no more waves. Where the sand is perfect and where our choices will be easier to make.



However until that day, realize the labels we wear as Christians, may not be flattering to the world. They are the waves that are out to beat us back based on stereotypes of people who lose it from time to time. We are not perfect, but we are working towards someone who has been that perfect example and let us use the tools to help being worn away by reading the Bible and forming a perfect relationship with Jesus Christ. Let us not be conformed to the world, but stand shining lights in the darkness directing those to Him instead. Let us all pray more for our leaders, our country and those around us. The way I see it only 10% of the world believes in Jesus Christ, as the Son of God, that's 1 in every 10 people will make it to heaven. That's a percentage I can't live with.  Let's see if we can get those numbers a whole lot higher doing things God's way and showing them the love of Jesus Christ in how we live our lives and what we say and do!

If you read this all the way, the enemy is really upset with you and will work harder to make sure you are interrupted or simply forget you say it. Ask Jesus Christ into your heart today. Ask Him to forgive you of your sins. (We, ALL, our sinners, every single one of us, even Christians) and believe that it is only through a faith in Him that you can be saved by the simply act of GRACE, and have eternal life. If you have done that, I would encourage you to get a Bible and begin reading the book of John and start learning more about the life of Jesus Christ, we will be spending an eternity with Him after all!

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." ~ Romans 12:2

 

4 comments:

Denise said...

Great post.

David C Brown said...

The victory is won and my Man has won! No need to take part in this world's election. After all, "ye have died" - and a dead person isn't entitled to vote! - "and your life is hid with the Christ in God", Colossians 3: 3.

Unknown said...

Very well put! I agree that this world does tap away at our resolve to do His will. However, when it comes to living in the society He has placed us (none of us are here by accident), I find it hard to shirk my responsibility as a Christian citizen even if neither candidate is a Christian. I voted the way that I did, not based on the candidates faith (or lack thereof) but rather on their merits as a person and how their time in office will affect the future of this country for my child (who will be paying for the mistakes made by us, or will be reaping the benefits of our good choices.) This election, like the previous two, was very hard. Your post made me think about what I would say to God should He ask me who I voted for and why. I can honestly say that I will have no fear when I answer Him. :) Thanks for your thought provoking post! As ever, your thoughts and insights challenge me to look more deeply! God bless! ~Christina

Our7isheaven said...

Very well put!!