Monday, February 1, 2010

Sand Painting Win's Ukraines Got Talent


I got this in my email this morning and it quite literally moved me to tears. I hope it will mean something to all of you and I'd love to hear about it.

Miss Simonova, 24, drew a series of pictures on an illuminated sand table showing how ordinary people were affected by the German invasion during World War II.

One video clip of her work on the television talent show has been viewed by two million users alone.

The images, projected onto a large screen, moved many in the audience to tears and she won the top prize of about £75,000.

She begins by creating a scene showing a couple sitting holding hands on a bench under a starry sky, but then warplanes appear and the happy scene is obliterated.

It is replaced by a woman’s face crying, but then a baby arrives and the woman smiles again. Once again war returns and Miss Simonova throws the sand into chaos from which a young woman’s face appears.

She quickly becomes an old widow, her face wrinkled and sad, before the image turns into a monument to an Unknown Soldier.

This outdoor scene becomes framed by a window as if the viewer is looking out on the monument from within a house.

In the final scene, a mother and child appear inside and a man standing outside, with his hands pressed against the glass, saying goodbye.

The Great Patriotic War, as it is called in Ukraine, resulted in one in four of the population being killed with eight to 11 million deaths out of a population of 42 million.



17 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Wow...that was powerful.....Glad to be back blogging after vacation...Hope you are feeling better....

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I've seen this and it is amazing.

Heckety said...

What an incredible talent she has. Such a gift to move people like this, I'm not surprised so many people have watched it, I couldn't take my eyes off it.
Thank you very much for sharing.

Danae Hudson said...

That is amazingly beautiful. It's hard to look away...

Heckety said...

Just been catching up on you-

your bro's photos are WONDERFUL! I wish we lived near you, my girls would only love such a session!

I'm very sorry that your pain was bad again this week. I just can't understand why you aren't getting the care you need, and the diagnosis, and the meds, and the tests or whatever. Our Dilly has been ill and despite being a student on the opposite side of the country to us there has been no shortage of care. In fact we didn't realise it was serious but the doctors just kept plugging away until they found the problem...so why not the same for YOU?

Mari said...

I got this in a e-mail a few weeks ago but with no explanation of what it represented. Thanks for the explanation - she's very talented.
How are you feeling?

Kathleen said...

The talent of some people is simply mind-boggling! Talk about reaching the soul.

Blessings,
Kathleen

Parsley said...

Loved this video. I had my daughter watch it with me. Thanks for the post.

Skoots1moM said...

i adore seeing artists work with their God-given talents...amazing!
thanks for sharing

Andrea said...

Once again, you have blessed us. I love coming here.

Hope you don't mind. I added a link to ARK on arise 2 write. I should have done it long before now.

Hope you are feeling better. I have been thinking about you, a lot.
Hugs,
andrea

Crown of Beauty said...

Amazing, I was also moved to tears.

We need the healing of Jesus for this world's wounds.

Thank you for sharing, and I remember to pray for you.

Love
Lidj

Darcie said...

Ugh...having problem with my computer playing youtube today. I know I am missing something good if you are posting it. I will have to try and come back tomorrow and see if I can get it to play.

Beth E. said...

Thank you for sharing the video with us. It's so very moving...I'm speechless.

Denise said...

Wow, powerful.

He & Me + 3 said...

Wow Kat! That was amazing! So powerful. I hope that you are doing well my friend.

RCUBEs said...

Thanks for sharing this awesome talent sister Kat! Praying for the Lord's healing, comfort and strength to cover you. God bless.

Mich said...

I have seen this before...gets me every time.

Wow!!!

hope you are feeling better.