Monday, March 23, 2020

Where I Grew Up



Despite all the craziness in the world today, we can still find solace in remember times from our past. It might be a favorite holiday, birthday party, what you did for the Summer, and today, I'd like to take you back to my childhood home in Huntington Beach.

Funny thing is that I can still remember my address, 9432 Breakwater Circle. This is the childhood home I shared with you earlier even though I can't remember much about my bedroom. But I do remember some of the things about that home that I love and still get a smile from when I think back on it.

It's a single story, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. It is the house pictured above. Although when I grew up, it didn't look like that. It has been relandscraped and renovated a bit from the original but still so many great memories growing up. My bedroom was the one closest to the garage and faced the street. My brothers' room faced the backyard as did my parents. My best friend lived across the street until she moved away. Her name was Linda. We lived on a cul-de-sac which meant no cars driving down the street unless they were returning home for the day of work. So all the kids played together. In fact we could walk to the 7-11 on some days to return all the coke bottles we collected to buy enough candy to make us sick. Since our house was only 3 blocks to the beach, it was an easy walk or drive to get there.

I only lived there for a couple of years until my parents bought our home in Santa Ana, because they could get so much more for a house then and the price was worth it for our parents. Yet living on a cul-de-sac meant block parties. We would have them for the 4th of July and I remember sitting outside with our bar-b-ques and waiting to light off fireworks when it got dark. All the parents knew one another and life was so different than the way it is now. We didn't have a pool in our backyard, we simply had a cool fish pond with a waterfall I would let my barbies swim in during the summertime. We would have camp outs in the backyard with our sleeping bags and blankets covering our patio table.

Life was so easy back then. No unlimited television or games to play. Everything was outside. We played tag, ran in the sprinklers, rode our bikes til we got tired. Drank from the hose outside and played with all of our toys from hot wheels, barbies and even flying kites. Now things are so much different. It seems technology that was suppose to make our lives easier, now just makes us more connected to our devices over anything. I hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane today and hope you'll share yours with me.

No comments: