Thursday, March 2, 2017

Beauty and The Beast Controversy?

(image by Disney)


Beauty and Beast Drama? I see so many Christians stating they're going to boycott the new Disney film which has gotten a lot of publicity lately over the introduction of a gay scene between Gaston and Le Fou. May I take a moment and remind you that the very same scene is still in the original Disney animated feature? If it didn't bother you then, why now?

Perhaps it is because the media is making a big deal out of it now. Yet if you think about it most subject matter in the film, the animated one is completely flying in the face of biblical standards. How so? Well a witch arrives at the castle disguised as an old woman who is shunned by her appearance. Then she transforms herself into a beautiful enchantress who then casts a spell on the prince as well as the staff in the castle. (Witchcraft, sorcery). Belle then falls in love with the beast unaware that he is the prince. (leading to Bestiality at some point should the relationship continue?) 

Do you see where I am going with this? Most Disney movies contain things that go against biblical standards. Yet most of you are okay with the animated feature and no the real live action one. Isn't that a double standard?

I am not conveying that any gay scene in a movie geared for children should be allowed, as a Christian, I don't believe in that. Yet if we are going to use the same standard to judge all films, we may as well throw away most of what is in kids library's now. I think it does provide opportunity's for us to open up conversations with our children and provide some otherwise honest communication with them. The very same song that Le Fou sings to Gaston is in the original animated movie and none of the lyrics have changed, so why are parents and Christians in such an uproar now? Because the media has chosen to focus on it. If it didn't bother you then, why does it bother you now?

That's just my two cents worth on this and hope others might share your opinion on this post. Will I be going to see it, yes I will. I enjoyed the first one and I believe I will enjoy this one as well. Do I condone the subject matters in this movie as well as the original one, No. Yet it is a fairy tale, fictional story and one I will make sure my kids fully understand the difference between real and what isn't, as well as what is biblical and what isn't.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I completely agree with you! I will be going to see it, too. It's been awhile since I've visited you here, but I plan on that more often as I get back into blogging. :) Blessings, Carol