Tuesday, January 7, 2014

How Commited Are You Really?



This year God has laid the word Commit on my heart and that is my lesson for this year. For me I tend to join things with the best of intentions but often times don't follow things through to completion. I often look back and wonder just what things would look like if I followed them through to completion. How very different my life would look. Even taking my own personal spiritual walk for granted. Here in this blessed country, for now, we have the ability to order a Bible or even get one for free if times are hard. Not in other places in the world. They would be grateful for the things we take for granted every day. I've seen the videos where groups of people long with great desire for God's Word and they truly treasure it like it is the most precious thing in the world.

Do we see it the same way?

Or have we simply taken even having the Word of God for granted?

Do we rush to stress filled levels like we do when our car keys or phone or even ATM cards are misplaced as we do when we can't find our Bible?

Why is it that we don't treasure it like we should.

"My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God". ~ Proverbs 2:1-5

I happened upon Proverbs in my morning devotional this morning and it really spoke to something my husband had been struggling with and that is learning scripture and keeping it in your heart. Able to memorize it and recall it when you need it the most. He struggles even after learning it to keep remembering it. I asked it he had prayed to God to help him commit those verses to his heart and he admitted he hadn't.

So why are our committments to God often times half hearted attempts. Why do we put time with God on the back burner? Shouldn't God be the most important thing we do every single day? This is why I believe that God has called this word to my heart this year.

I wanted and felt drawn to God more so this year. Maybe we are going home soon, but I do know that the more time I spend with family, the greater my relationship is. The more I share my thoughts and fears with them the less of a burden they become. Why then, is it so hard to commit to spending more time with God?



I feel that we often will come to God when all else fails or when we find time in our busy days. I wonder if we could see God that perhaps it might help more for us to spend quality time with Him. But do you realize that God is all around you. When you are rushing to work, do you spend any time noticing the handiwork He has so lovingly created, from the sunflowers on the side of the freeway, that wave to you each morning, or the one of a kind masterpiece of sunrises and sunsets, you do realize that they are never the same twice? Oh how often do we take the things in front of us for granted simply because we have seen them a thousand times?

Want a different perspective on life?

Spend just a few hours with a toddler! Everything they see, in most cases they are seeing for the first time! That is why they stop and look at things in the greatest sense of wonder and detail, even if it's just an ant walking on the sidewalk or a weed sprouting up from a crack in the street. Imagine if we all took just a little more time today and changed our perspective and commit to making some changes in our day. Placing God first instead of last. Seeking Him each day.



I would love to hear what you "saw" today in a different way. Please share those thoughts today with me! If you need prayer too, please reach out to me, I'd love to pray for you as well!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this story. You see Commitment was the word I received for this year too! I have spent time reading and thinking about the Lord a lot this year. I surrender to God!