Thursday, March 17, 2011

Living With Fear


I know that the main thing that most people are talking about lately is what's going on with Japan. Just watching the news this morning my heart was torn. I can't believe in spite of everything Japan is going through it's snowing today. Not mild flurries, but large, heavy flakes.

Meanwhile troops are still trying to get to remote locations to see if survivors remain, and people are still trying to get a handle on how to cool down the nuclear reactors. Rumors are circulating whether or not Japan is being truthful on just how dire the situation is and if there is a threat to a nuclear meltdown, not just in one reactor but 5.

Just today, the talk among my family and even the friends of my daughters in high school is just what should we be concerned about with the threat of a nuclear cloud that is suppose to hit Southern California tomorrow, Friday.

It's gotten so extreme that reports are that people are beginning to horde iodine pills in the event it's a greater risk than what people have been saying. Most reports are that it shouldn't pose anymore of a threat than a chest Xray.

My brothers girlfriend is panicked, ready to begin to leave town. She doesn't trust God to handle this situation. Worst yet, people wonder what will happen in the worst case scenario, if all 5 reactors blow? What then?

Should we begin heading west?

Should we leave now while we can?

Is this the end of the world as the Bible has predicted?

What should we do?

This is where trusting God to prevail comes in hand. I believe one should take some precautions but nothing outside what God, Himself, can handle? I'm not running to my local military supply company to find survival foods, and gas masks. I'm not stock piling my money in small amounts in the event there's a run on the banks. I'm not even stockpiling my food, just in case the stores should close.

So what should we do?

First of all, PRAY! Ask God to release your fears and anxieties on Him. Worry NOT! Do you really want to be a professional worrier? People say practice makes perfect or permanent in some circles, so I would refrain from being a professional worrier. I would strive to become a professional pray warrior instead. I would rather have a direct line to God and talk to Him about my concerns.

We must remember the verses of Matthew 6:25-34, which tell us NOT to WORRY about ANYTHING. How much more precious are we to God over the birds of the air or the lilies of the field. We are so important He has counted every single hair on our heads. God will take care of our daily needs if that is all we focus on. Not next week, the weekend or even the end of the month.

We aren't suppose to live our lives like that. No wonder it wrecks havoc on our bodies, our minds and our livelihood. It robs of us of God's provision and He can't work through us if we chose to bear our own loads.

Think of it this way, take every problem you have, and take a rock, large enough for you to lift and write your specific problem on it. Paint it, draw on it, carve it into the rock. The point is to label it. Then carry it all the time. You can't put it down. See how long you can go without it affecting you in some way. Every time you have a new problem, don't forget to pick up a new rock and continue to carry them both.

When you get so tired of trying to do it yourself, try handing it off to God. Remember everytime you think God isn't doing enough, you have to pick up those rocks and carry them again. I would challenge you that it would only take you a short while before you would willingly hand them over to God every single time. No amount of rocks are too great for God to bear.

SO why do we chose to handle things on our own instead of merely coming to God every single time, talk to Him through prayer and hand it over. It definitely makes the load easier to bear in the long run and keeps us physically stronger as well as spiritually stronger.

So which path will you take? Will you take on your own rocks on yourself, will you live a life of fear, or will you chose God?

For me, I chose God! I stand firm in my faith and am willing to take whatever comes my way. I remember that nothing comes as a surprise to God and no matter what, I will know where I will go when this life ends. This is not the life I was destined to live and look forward to seeing just how God intended it all to be when I get to heaven.

Yet let us also heed God's warning and be ready, now is not the time to hesitate on your decision. You may not have a tomorrow:

Matthew 24: 7-8 "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains."

We are already seeing these signs based on things happening in Libya and the Middle East as well as earthquakes in New Zealand, Japan and even Chile this morning. The time is now to decide where will you spend your eternity and whom will you serve.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

13 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I put all my faith in God. My daughter has been scared. I keep telling my family that they need to make sure that they have given themselves to God so we can all be together in Heaven.

Mari said...

What a great testimony! You've shared some excellent advice in this post.
PS - thanks for praying for John and Jo. He is doing well; has a small blockage in his upper intestine which they think can be treated medically. If so he will be back with her in a few days. :)

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I loved the analogy of the rocks. That's a great way to look at it. I'm generally not a worrier, but when I start to, I turn my eyes toward the One who has it all under control!
Big Hugs
Kim

Terra said...

I tend to "trust in God and row away from the rocks", and do what I can while keeping the trust.

LV said...

I do no worry about most things. I may get concerned but not worry. My late husband did enough of that both of us. Worry absolutely will not solve a thing. If we can do something about an issue do so and if not let it go, God gives us enough sense to protect ourselves, but no protection will keep him out. Amen to all your thoughts.

Danae Hudson said...

I've been all over John 14:27 lately.

Mary Ann said...

What a great message! And much needed. Thanks! :)

Rita said...

How exciting to think that He may take us home soon to be with Him! You are right, we need to trust in Him with everthing that is in us!

David C Brown said...

"First of all, PRAY" - I like that; we can sometimes leave it till last!

"...having cast all your cares upon him, for he cares about you" ! Peter 5: 7.

Crown of Beauty said...

Hi Kat,
It's good to be back here at you blog place.

Like you, I choose God.

This post was so deep, I really appreciated coming over today.

The rock analogy was excellent. How many rocks can we handle in a day... or a week...

I refuse to live in fear. Do what we're supposed to, but in faith, not in fear. Yes, I choose God.

Love
Lidj

The Red Brick Farmhouse said...

Pray without ceasing! Let go and let God!

Blessings~
Laura

Beth Herring said...

great post Kat. we certainly don't want to live in fear. The Word tells us that He hasn't given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind!

we just need to hit our faces and pray!!

Charlotte said...

Hi Kat --

This situation in Japan is growing mess that certainly requires our collective prayers.

Maybe it's the Girlscout in me but I am reminded that when Noah was told by God to build the ARK he was also told to bring enough food for his family and all the animals.

When Moses and the Hebrews fled Egypt ( Exodus 12:39 says) "And they baked unleavened cakes of the dough which they had brought out of Egypt; for it was not leavened, because they were driven out of Egypt and could NOT wait, nor had they prepared provisions for themselves."

The storage of food isn't a bad thing. Here in Atlanta when-ever a snowstorm hits the grocery stores always run out of food. But on the opposite end of this spectrum from a faith standpoint, I can share that in and around my kitchen that food sometimes is in short supply and yet the Holy Spirt always provides provisions for us, which in my opinion is truly a blessing from above.

Go in peace and keep serving the Lord!