Sunday, September 13, 2009

Blog of the Week! ~ Gotta Have Faith


My family who also blogs had asked me when they might be interviewed for the Blog of the Week award that I share with each of you each and every Sunday. So today is the day you get to meet one of the most important people in my life, my husband and best friend Steven.

I think it's great that he blogs when he has time. He is super busy being our sole supporter in our home so that I can be at home and take care of things here so it's one less thing he has to worry about. For quite a few years we both worked and it is so difficult when your child is sick or has a family function to decided how you can work being there for them. Work isn't generally very understanding when it comes to the needs of family over work.

I think we both knew we were destined to be together after spending almost 3 years as best friends and seeing each other through some of the worst times imaginable. He saw me through a bad divorce and child custody issue and I was there for him when his beloved Grandmother went home to be with God. We both had relationships going with other people during those years but someone I believe God wanted us with each other because it was His plans for us. He was going to use us together for His glory.

It isn't often we come across some amazing men that blog and walk with God so when I find them I really am excited to share them all with you. So today I share his interview with all of you and hope that you decide to become part of his followers today at Gotta Have Faith.

1. Why did you first begin blogging?

I first started blogging back on May 30th if this year, as a way to have a hobby and write about my life, interests, and walk with the Lord. At the time, I was so very busy with work I could not see where work ended and life with my family began! It was just one BIG Blur! For the Past year I had been traveling all over the country working 70-80 hours a week! NO JOKE! I was gone so much around 4-5 weeks at a time, then home for 4-5 days then back out again for another 4-5 weeks that my wife and children were starting to forget me.

By the time I was finally able to stay home and work locally, my wife started blogging and just loved it! It was a way for her to stay busy while I was gone so much! She suggested that I start my own blog as a way to stay in touch if I was going to be gone more and to write about whatever I wanted. So my first Blog was about Time Management, something I still struggle with ha ha. Now I blog as a hobby and try to keep up with her ( Impossible!), she is so well organized and has so much imagination it isn't even fair! Okay, next question.

2. Why did you name your blog, Gotta Have Faith?

I named my "Blog Gotta Have Faith" because at the time, my wife and I were going through some really rough times. I had to put my faith in God that we would be able to weather the storm together while I was working so much! I could not imagine life without her! I had somehow put my work before my marriage and as we all know that can end in disaster! So anyway, that is why I named my Blog, Gotta Have Faith.

3. What are your three biggest achievements in life?

  • Giving myself over to God at the Calvary Chapel in Riverside in front of Pastor Greg Laurie. He is such a wonderful speaker that I feel God is talking through him. I felt so at ease when I was at his Church and even now that I am at Calvary in the High Desert.

  • Finding such a wonderful woman and getting married to my best friend, and soul mate! She might not know it, but she has saved me in so many ways! I don't think I am ever good enough for her. She is my rock and keeps me grounded.

  • Buying a house together so we could raise our family. Somewhere where we could plant roots, feel safe in this crazy world, and grow together as husband and wife, mother and father.

4. How did you know God is real?

This kind of goes back to the Gotta Have Faith in question 1. I learn more every time I go to church based on the writing of the Old and New Testament. Learning how there were so many people present when Jesus Christ performed so many miracles, and yet he was still crucified for what? Loving men and women and showing how to walk a righteous path! It is my faith in God that keeps me knowing that he is real.

5. What is the greatest advice you can give as a husband?

Be Humble and put your Wife first! If you try to put your wife first, everything else will work itself out. I need to put myself in her shoes, try to understand what she is going through. I still have problems with this as well, but I am a work in progress...Go Figure!

6. What is the greatest advice you can give as a father?

Listen, learn, be firm without being angry, and being a role model for my children. My family trait is to yell first and listen later. I have had such a time learning patience, listening before I give advice or help answer their questions or problems. I pray that I will have taught my children all they need to know before they brave this world on their own.


7. What are you three favorite smells and why?

  • The Ocean! There is just something about catching the scent of the salt and beach.
  • The Forest! Smelling pine trees, a river, it smells so clean and fresh!
  • The Rain! Just before and when starts to rain, you know that smell I am talking about.

So if you find yourself being led to pay Steve a visit, become a follower of his as well and encourage him on his journey to do what I believe God has asked him to do at Gotta Have Faith.

20 comments:

Mari said...

Hi Steve! It was great reading your answers here and getting to know you a little better. Of course, we readers of this blog feel we know you already!

RCUBEs said...

It's great to know more about bro. Steven and what led for him to write. I'm glad you introduced him to us. I think his title "Gotta' Have Faith" is just perfect. It's a great reminder of what it means to believe in the Lord. "We believe by faith, not by seeing..." so I'm constantly reminded when he is leaving comments or me, visiting his blog. He always writes "keep the faith"...

God bless you bro. Steven and may the Lord continue to guide you with His divine wisdom. It's neat to see a couple very much in love and both blogging for Him!!! Have a great week ahead to you guys! "Keep the faith" - right back at you :)

Unknown said...

Its refreshing to see a Godly man step up and speak out about Faith... and even more refreshing to be so soft-spoken about it. Thank you for sharing more about Steve, and to Steve for sharing more about himself.

Wendy Blight said...

Hi, my name is Wendy Blight. I am visiting your blog because of a post you wrote on Jennifer's blog. You talked about marriage being a place where pride, envy, and jealousy can rear their ugly heads. I LOVE what you ended with ...that we need to pray for our marriages to be filled full with the fruit of the Spirit.

Such wise words. A TRUTH I know but I do not pray for my marriage. To pray for our marriages to be filled with peace, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, love, joy, patience, goodness, and self-control...what a powerful prayer. Marriages, children, homes, families, and communities would be changed if we fervently prayed this prayer.

Thank you for speaking a fresh word into my heart today!

Blessings,

Wendy

Deb said...

You've got a good man here.

Love the title of his blog.

You did a fabulous job of interviewing him.

Sweet dreams.

Mich said...

He is a keeper! :)

Heidi said...

It is a blessing to live life with a spouse who knows and loves the Lord, Jesus. I'm happy for you, that you and Steve have that. Sharing the love of Jesus through blogging is like sprinkling joy and hope throughout cyberspace- reading these blogs is my daily soak in the sprinkle.

What luxuries, the internet and freedom and how marvelous knowing the Lord!

Happy Sunday afternoon.
Heidi@2 Thinks to Share

Joyce said...

This was fun to read. I enjoy listening to Greg Laurie on the radio/internet too.

I'll check out Gotta Have Faith...Love the title! Thanks for sharing!

Kat said...

Well, you know, I already enjoy reading Steve's blog. This was a fun read anyway. I agree there are not many Men of God out there blogging and it is very exciting when I find them. I enjoy reading things from their perspective. I also like sharing what I read with my dear husband who, like Steve, is far too busy to read or write in blog world.

Charlotte said...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing with everyone your thoughts. It was a pleasure learning a little more about you. Now, I'm wishing that I had picked the smell of the beach! This has got to be one of my favorites smells in the world, next to smell of grass that's just been mowed by my sweet husband.

You're both talented bloggers. Have you every thought of combing your talents? You both bring something different to the world of blogging. And I really don't know of a husband and wife team that's blogging together and writing about marriage, family and faith? Do you? Just a thought.


Blessings to you both,
Charlotte

LisaShaw said...

Wow! I enjoyed this! Loved #3 and your advice as a hubby and father. Beautiful sharing!

Blessings to you and Kat. I absolutely love her but then I know you love her even more as her hubby! :)

KrippledWarrior said...

Congrats Steve and Kat. your faith is inspirational.

Kathleen said...

How fun as well as inspirational to hear from the males among us.

Thank you,
Kathleen

Silver said...

Oh wow.. what a site! Both of you are amazing. So blessed and what a huge blessing to others! ~Silver

Deborah Ann said...

Oh my, you better keep this man a secret, or you're going to have a stampede of women headed to your house. What a blessing to have a husband who loves the Lord! When we got married I told my husband "As long as you chase after God's heart, I'll chase after yours."

Blessings!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Loved the interview and look forward to following his blog.

~*Michelle*~ said...

How blessed you BOTH are as God knows exactly who to choose for us to spend out lives with.....

Thank you for sharing Steve with us.....I enjoyed his honesty, his faith filled words, and his inspiration.

christy rose said...

Kat, I loved this interview. I love knowing both of you. and, I learned some new things about both of you today in this interview. Thanks for sharing both of your lives with us. You bring such glory to God.
Love,
Christy

Carol said...

Great post about Steve and "Gotta Have Faith". I love his honesty, his love for the Lord and also you, his beloved wife. I admire his dedication and commitment to doing what is right in the eyes of the Lord. Keep working at it, Steve. We're all a work in progress.

Blessings to you both,
Carol

Loren said...

What an excellent job you all did together! You are so blessed to have found each other!

I am happy to know more about Steves blogging and I know what you mean about keeping up with her....she truly is the most creative thing isn't she!

I pray the same thing about my kids....please let me teach them all they need to know about HIM before they leave our home! Trusting in HIM and listening that it is HIM that will lead all of us will prove to be the answer each and every day.

blessings to you both!