Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Keeping Romance Alive



It's that dreaded time again. I don't look forward to it when it comes and spend those final minutes memorizing every feature on his face. The color of the pale blue in his eyes and the way I know that those eyes will only look on me and find the love we have been able to capture, grow, maintain and strengthen in almost 20 years together. February 9th, we will celebrate 17 years of marriage together and as I was going about my errands yesterday I realized how wonderful it is to be with the right person God has in mind for you.

I had thought that about my first marriage, but maybe I falsely jumped at the idea of being married, and I certainly wasn't a Christian at first when I did. Later after 10 years, I watched that marriage dissolve into divorce following an affair by my ex and wondered if God would ever bless my life again or would I be forever a single mom for the remainder of my life.

Well he did.

And for this blessing I know I am a rich woman indeed. While my husband may not hold the keys to keeping romance alive, I know he loves me more than anything. He shows it in the way he makes the perfect eggs for me, to getting up early to feed our impatient cat Bella most mornings at 6am, to just hanging out with me and being the best friend I could ever have. We've gotten to the point of finishing each others sentences and even find our thoughts are aligned as well, when one of us will say something and we look at the other and say, "I was just thinking the same thing!"

He will be the last love of my life as well. I can't imagine a life without him in it and that is why I miss him the most when he is gone, whether for a handful of hours or for days traveling for work. I am blessed that he cares enough to call me every day and tell me he loves me. That there is no place he'd rather be than home with me and the kids. I hate that feeling when you suddenly realize that he isn't coming home tonight and that feeling of fear creeps in.

What if something happens? What will I do? Who will I call?

Most of the time nothing happens, but when it does, I handle it. I've earned my big girl panties these past few years. I've mastered fixing sprinkler links, to repairing broken locks, to handling life until he returns. Oh it wasn't always easy. There were hours I would spend crying my eyes out why life had to be so unfair to make my husband have to travel so much. I never thought I would be able to handle it like most women do, but then one day, those trips didn't hurt as much. I missed him as much as I ever did, but I trust God to bring him back. One day He might not, but I know God will always have my best interests in mind and I will ge through it.

Until that time, however, I truly cherish and love the man I've been blessed to have in this walk of mine on Earth and the best part is knowing I will spend an eternity with him as my best friend forever. So I wrote him a love letter telling him how valuable and loved he is. I secretly gave it to him and hoped he would read it on the plane.

He did and it make him cry. Not because of what I wrote, but that love could be put into words to let a wonderful man like my husband know how much I really and truly love him. I think that's important for us wives to do, as much as we can and in all sincerity. Because life outside our marriages is cruel, heartless and full of things that would tempt what we share. We have no greater honor than to pray for our husbands daily and whenever we think of them. I can't wait for the day when God shows us how many times we prayed for one another. It's the most powerful weapon we have to keep the enemy at bay and it's so much easier to lay the foundation before the house is built than to try to do it afterwards.

Our foundation is found in our commitment to God and in doing so makes it possible to truly have an unforgettable and truly rewarding marriage. Ours isn't perfect for it's perfect for us. How do you keep your marriage strong? I'd love to hear about it.

3 comments:

Saleslady371 said...

I love it when I read about Women loving their husbands. You have a special relationship with your Stephen! Prayer is the key, yes! I'm blessed to pray with Tom every morning and praying for one another when we're out of sight is vital.God really does honor prayers. What love!

Terra said...

How good that you wrote your dh a love letter and he read it on the plane and it made him cry. My dh and I are married 43 years and he is a precious gift.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. I learned a valuable secret from my grandparents never go to bed angry or upset with each other. I will also text him when he is gone to work or away to ask how his day is going, to let him know I am thinking of him.