Friday, December 4, 2009

Calling All Help!

I apologize for being gone for so long and here in a nutshell is what is being going on. First of all with last week being Thanksgiving and celebrating it with family I haven't seen for quite a while I took some time off from blogging. Then my mom and my sister offered to take the girls for us for a few days so Steve and I could actually have a date weekend.

Then lucky me, got my period on the Friday following Thanksgiving. Even with minimal pain I managed to still enjoy my time with the hubby.

On Saturday, I still wasn't feeling too hot and thought maybe I picked up a bug of some sort, cause I was feeling nauseated but not to the point of throwing up, my body works in the opposite direction and you know where it goes from there.

After spending a few days dealing what seemed like the flu, I forced myself to the ER again. After being seen at 8am, I was given some pain meds but the diarrhea still was coming on. I had to ask the poor ER nurse to unhook me from my IV to use the bathroom every 15 minutes. After that I was told that they were going to have me take a CAT scan of my lower abdomen because I was still having pain and it would show them so much more.

So I had to drink this god awful stuff within 30 minutes and then wait 1 1/2 to get the tests. Thank goodness the test was only 15 minutes long.

After that was done, it was now 12 and they decide they are going to admit me to find out why I am still having abdominal pain along with diarrhea. I was finally taken to my room at 3pm and I am told that I will be meeting with some doctors later that day. I saw one and he told me he would be in the following morning to do some xrays of my colon. See you tomorrow.

Then they take me to a Hideascan to get an in depth look at my Gall Bladder which takes a hour. Did they mention, I have diarrhea and can't wait that long? I manage to barely get off the table and scramble to the bathroom. The bathroom is my new best friend.

After I get settled in my room I have about 2 hours before visiting hours are over. They end at 8pm and resume at 11am the following day. Seriously? I can't have a patient advocate for me for that long?

So I sent Steve home last night at 8:30 of getting no answers to why I am still not getting anything to control the diarrhea. The doctors forgot to put it in my chart, and there is NOTHING they can do until tomorrow morning. Sorry deal with living on the toilet all night, not to mention being attached to an IV which needs to be unplugged and dragged to the bathroom with me, plugged back in and then try to lay down.

At 9:30pm I notice that my pain in my ab is coming back really angry and beg the nurse for pain meds. She tells me that it's exactly every 4 hours and if I could just wait, she would oblige. Do I have a choice? I guess the tell tale look and tears streaming down my face did not do justice, although I did mention that this is the worse I have felt since arriving here at 8am. She proceeds to correct me and tell me that I haven't been here that long and they I have only been under their care upstairs for a few hours.

She comes back in 30 minutes to the dot and has a syringe with morphine and puts it into my IV. I ask how long will it take for the pain to go away, she assures me 5 to 10 minutes at the most. I cringe still cripping my stomach and proceed to wait.

After one hour, still no change. I page her again and tell her that it's not working. She tells me sorry, doctors orders, that is all she can do for now, she'll be back in 4 to give me more. I explain that I can not wait or deal with pain as severe as 9, because I believe 10 is what you feel if you aren't dying.

She begins to explain all the reasons behind why she is entitled to receive her RN license and I beg her to see if there is something else she can do.

Why she calls for advice on what to do, I have to use the rest room and can't quite make it there in time to help me undo the IV, so I use the portable commode in my room. The RN comes back to tell me that she is still waiting for a call back from the ER doctor to see what my options are. I explain about using the commode and she tells me she will deal with it. Later I hear her at the nurses station mocking me about how bad my BM smells and how she should be rated a hero for none of the other nurses having to do it.

I just lay in bed crying at this point. After 30 minutes, she comes back and gives me another shot of morphine and explains that the doctor will be giving me a total of 4 mg every 4 hours and she'll be back then.

I beg to ask the question before she puts it in, what if it still doesn't work. She said there is nothing we can do for another 4 hours, do I want it or not?

I ask her why does it have to be morphine, why can't it be the other drugs from earlier in the day that worked?

Why am I asking these questions? Anyone help me?

So she gives me the shot and after an hour....yup nothing. Still in pain. When I call her and let her know, she tells me we are out of options at this point. I will need to wait until morning.

I explain to her that not only did I come to the ER today to have my diarrhea taken care of and my ab pain gone, I am back in square one again. Nothing is being done, doctors can't be reached and tests can't be pushed back to give this girl some life back. Needless to say, I checked myself out, on the threat of by doing so I could die and went home.

I took one Norco and some gatorade and went to bed. I am now working with my personal doctors to figure this out. If they had just provided something for the pain, I am sure I would at least know what it is by now. For now however I am working with my family health care doctor to find out what is going on, so I am taking antibiotics to get me through the weekend and once she finds out what the results are of my blood work and stool samples, we will go from there. She was also nice enough to give me something for the diarrhea to get me through the weekend til we meet again next week. I was able to have all my results from the old hospital transferred to her today so that she will have them on Monday and my stool samples were also dropped off so those should be back by Monday.

The downside again, Steve's job is telling him that he needs to get back to work or no getting paid. Apparently according to them he only has 2 vacation days left and no sick time. Let's just say that is all gone today. So we are praying that someone has made a mistake since sick time is not calculated on pay checks. Please lift him up in prayer as well.

Kailee our youngest just got sick this morning and is off to the doctor even now, thanks Steve, tossing her cookies all the way there. Who knows perhaps this family just all got a good dose of the flu all in the same week!

So if any of you have any recommendations, please free free to email me directly at Stevenkat27@verizondotnet or leave a comment for me here if you have any suggestions on what I can do on a go forward basis.

Thank you so much for all your prayers and well wishes and I will check back with you as often as I can, and promise you are all not forgotten. You all remain in my heart and prayers! I love you all!


Denise said...

God bless you sweetie, so very sorry for all you are going through. I am praying for you, love you my friend.

He & Me + 3 said...

I don't have any suggestions, but I will be praying. Sounds like Roto virus. Praying you are better soon and completely healed.

Mari said...

I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with all this pain and discomfort. As a nurse, I am appalled and ashamed of how that nurse acted. There is no reason for someone to be crying in pain. We are instructed to call the Dr for further orders or to have them see you in a situation like that. Mocking you for something you can't control is completely disgusting. When you are feeling better you really need to talk to someone in charge at that hospital and file a complaint. If she is treating you that way, you know she is doing it to others, and some of them may be unable to speak for themselves.
Don't let your Dr drop this - you need answers.
I'm praying for you!

Jane In The Jungle said...

I just knew something was up with you. And I agree with Mari, report that nurse when you are better.
I wish I had answers but I don't. But you know I will be praying for you thru the weekend and next week..for relief...and answers...and healing!
Take care.

RCUBEs said...

So sorry for what you had gone through...Not sure if all the hospitals have Pain Pharmacists [haven't worked in a hospital setting for almost 10], but if that medication for pain didn't work at all, I'm just baffled that the nurse didn't do anything extra to help you out. Either she could have called the doctor to make him aware of the problem or ask for the Pain Pharmacist consult so they can determine if there's anything else that can work for pain control since it was obvious that Morphine didn't work.
I wonder if you had eaten something that was possibly spoiled? Anyway, I will keep you in prayers sister Kat. I pray you are feeling better even now as I write a comment. May the Lord cover you and your family with His protection and healing. God bless.

Beth Herring said...

Oh, sweet friend, I am so sorry that you have had such a rough time! It sounds like you had some nurses and doctors who didn't quite read the manual on bedside manner and patient care.

I hope that you are feeling better and will get good results from your tests.

Praying for your little one as well. I appreciate your prayers for Melissa this week.

Love to you -

Warren Baldwin said...

What an ordeal! Most nurses I've dealt with are so nice and caring. I'm sorry you got one that was not like that. We had a friend who had one like that a while back, and she suffered more from the nurse's lack of care and attention than from what had her in the hospital to begin with. Hoping and praying you find out what it is and get better soon!

And I think Mari has given excellent insight and good advice on following up with a doctor and this nurse.

Danae Hudson said...

I am so so sorry! I was worried too, wondering what happened to you! I wish I had answers, but I can tell you that you really do need to report that nurse. That's horrifying! I just read a story about someone else who had a nightmare with a nurse...and it's always at night. So strange!!

I hope that tomorrow you wake up and it's a miracle and you feel better.

Silver said...

I am sooooo glad youre back! Sorry to hear about what you'd gone through..all those pain and discomfort.

I hope you'll get all better i'll be remembering you too in prayer, my dear friend ;)

love & hugs,

Parsley said...

Oh my friend. I'm so very sorry for your pain. I wish I could help in some way. Will pray.

Mich said...

Oh friend, I will be praying...

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

Oh, sweet Kat, you are in my prayers.
Blessings, Misha

Beth E. said...

Bless your heart...and every other part!

I'm so sorry you've had such a terrible time. I'm praying for you!



Kat, I have written you a personal email. I wanted to again let you know you are in my Thoughts and Prayers. I pray you are healed soon. I am so sorry you were treated bad. I have worried about you and missed you. I Pray they will find an answer soon. Love you, Audrey

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Are you kidding me. That is how they treated you in the hospital.
That is terrible. Your just supposed to stay in pain. I am so sorry this is happening to you. I pray that you will be well soon and that there is a simple answer to your pain.

momstheword said...

Oh Kat, you poor thing! What an awful time. I don't get that whole visiting hours thing either. My parents have been in the hospital so many times over the years, and we never had to leave at a certain time.

I cannot believe your nurse. Seems like she forgot what her job was.

I remember being in such pain one night, and the night nurse would not give me the pain meds the doctor ordered. She didn't want me to get "addicted" she said.

The next morning, the doctor asked how my night went and I told him about how the nurse wouldn't give me my meds, and how I cried and begged her and she finally gave me one (which didn't help), and how I didn't get any sleep because it hurt so bad.

He was furious and apparently went and talked (or yelled) at the nurse. The next night I got my pain meds.

I'll pray for you, my friend. I have no idea what it could be. Colitis or diverticulitis?

Love ya and hope today goes better for you.

Nina said...

I'm not a nurse but work in a hospital and have spent way too much time in them as a patient as well. That is NOT how anyone is to be treated and I agree a complaint needs to be filed. Such treatment is uncalled for and unacceptable in any health care situation.
That said, I hope you start feeling better soon. Are other dinner guests ill too? That knowledge would be helpful to your doctors as well.
My healing thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. May God Bless you with His Healing Power and Grace and may His loving arms surround you and comfort you today and always. Love, Hope, Light and Prayers. Nina P

Andrea said...

I am so sorry. I feel like you are not getting the right help from the right doctor. Unfortunately, the medical profession is overwhelmed and overworked, too. I pray GOD will put the right person in your path to provide answers and that Steve's work situation will be rectified quickly. I know you need him. Hang in there and know that we are ALL continuing to storm the heavens on your behalf.


You have an award on arise 2 write.

Darcie said...

I was SO hoping the reason you were missing was because you were just busy. I am sorry you had to deal with a nurse that couldln't show any compassion...that is NOT right!! My heart ached for you, to think of you crying because of her attitude. Hoping and praying that you get answers very soon.

Skoots1moM said...

Jesus, You know Kat's Your Presence in a powerful way for her, for her health, for her family's health, for answers to be given and for hubby's supervisors to have compassion of their suffering...Your arm is NOT too short and You are our Great Physician, show us Your power so we can boast of Your grace and loving kindnesses. Thank you, Lord, for being with them during every step. Amen and Amen

Wendi said...

Oh Kat! I am so sorry you are going through this. I wish I had some wonderful advise for you. I could contact the hospital and file a complaint against the nurse. It was terrible of her to treat you that way. Treating someone with dignity should be one of the top requirements of the nursing job. Praying you find anwers and feel better soon!

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

I really hope you get some answers. No wonder you haven't been around to blog. That is the last thing you should be doing! Hope you get some relief soon my friend.
Love Collette xxx

David C Brown said...

The doctor and the nurse don't know what is best - but the Lord does. He'll carry you through!

LisaShaw said...

Precious friend, I pray for the Great Physician to step in and touch and heal you in the Name of Jesus. I love you.

Cathy said...

BTW you have an award at my blog. Check it out and claim it when you have time.

S. Etole said...

I truly hope this day finds you feeling better. There are such extremes in medical care. I hope your next experience is on the good side of things.

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

Kat, you are in my prayers. So sorry you are enduring all of this. (((hugs))) No words of advice, but I'm glad you checked yourself out of that hospital!

Elle Bee said...

Kat, what a horrible ordeal. That nurse was so hurtful to mock you. I'm so sorry you had to endure that. Just keep praying. I'll be looking for your next post--hope you get some answers & test results back tomorrow.