Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Trip of A Lifetime



Sometimes we can get so immersed in our favorite television shows that we would give anything to simply be on the set, watching the action unfold. I had the chance quite awhile to do just that when I worked installing cell phones in cars back in the day, when car kits were big. Our assignment was in Burbank, not sure where exactly and we found ourselves meeting with Jackie Cooper. Now some of you might be saying who? But if you're my age, you just might remember. He was one of the Little Rascals, he was also Perry White from Superman, and was on the television show Cagey and Lacy. When we pulled up, we meet him and he instructed us in where he wanted his phone to go in his car and when we were done, he took us inside to watch an episode being filmed. It was truly a great honor to be there not only because it was amazing seeing how filming of a television show happened, but we were treated like important people because we knew Mr. Cooper.

Often times people will flock to Universal Studios for the same purpose, to see where their favorite movies and television shows are filmed. It seems to make it all the more real instead of simply just watching it on television or on the big screen. Some even hope for their five minutes of fame and being discovered by some director or producer just looking for that right person.

God is much the same way. He created each of us with a unique purpose in mind. To be someone with a real purpose. He created us as a one-of-a-kind masterpiece and a true work of art. But if you ask yourself the real question, do you believe it, most of us don't see anything special about ourselves. So how do we remedy that problem?

I believe it's through spending time with God reading His word, the Bible. It's only in knowing more about Him that we can begin to see the truth that has been right in front of us the whole time. We can feel important, because in God's eyes, we are!



Each time, I hear about people taking a trip to visit the Holy Lands, or Israel I often am wishful in hoping one day I might get up the courage to go. I have an issue with flying on a plane so that is where my obstacle is for now, but I love looking at the pictures. I would LOVE to get a sense for how it feels to simply be in the places I've only read about but I know exist for real. To be baptized in the Jordan river, to take a boat ride across the Sea of Galilee, to pray in the gardens just outside the tomb of Jesus, to walk along the ancient streets where Jesus taught and walked with his people, to look upon the wailing wall, to visit Bethlehem at night, and so many other special places where I know Jesus as a man, lived and walked this earth. I know God is with me wherever I go, but for me, there is a sense of purpose in wanting to be there, to just breath the air and simply just sit and bask in the presence.



What about you? If you got the opportunity to visit the Holy Land, what would you like to see? Where would you go? What would you do when you got there? I'd love to hear your answers.

No comments: