Sunday, January 2, 2011

Why No Cure?


Here we are in the 21st century and still no cure for the common cold. I've heard all the excuses that each cold is like DNA, unique and hard to come up with a cure for. Yet I begin to wonder if perhaps there is a cure and they don't want to release it for fear of putting all the drug companies out of business.

Think about it, when you begin to get the sniffles, sneeze more than you usually do, and get the itchy feeling in the back of your throat, you reach over and grab a pill and in a few hours, presto, you are back to your old self again.

No more sick days to use at work because you know when you get sick those 5 or 8 days a year don't go quite as far as you would like. Plus if you take more than 3 days in a row, you have to bring in a doctor's note to validate that you are really sick and not taking extended time off work.

Just think of what the stores like CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens would look like with no cold remedies for sale over the counter. Have you noticed just how many versions of cold medicine there are?

What did they do back in the times before Nyquil and Theraflu were around? Something makes me wonder if they even caught colds back then. Are we becoming sick from our own environment? Are we the ones who make ourselves sick with all the chemicals, artificial flavorings and colors and most preservatives that requires a degree in English to pronounce?

Today marks the 5th day of battling one of the worst colds I've had in quite a while. No amount of Nyquil, chicken soup or hot tea with honey and lemon seems to put me at ease. Just good old fashion time and prayer, along with drinking plenty of water and staying warm. My house remains empty because my hubby and kids got bored of staying home after so many days and needed to get out of the house.

Yet the silence feels good. It gives me time to just listen for the sound of the rain to begin if it ever gets here, to turn up my electric blanket and share my thoughts with you, my faithful readers. At least I can rest one more day, before life returns to the normal grind with school beginning again and the house will be filled with the hustle and bustle of vacations long gone.

How are you all spending your last day of Christmas vacation?

Here's hoping that

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Snuggling up sounds good but not when you're sick. Feel better soon, Kat!

I also think there's a cure.

Is it going to snow in the high desert?

Journaling Gina said...

Hope you feel better very soon! No fun!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sorry about your cold. It is amazing all the products in the stores for the common cold! I am watching TV and blogging. Eating all the left overs & trying to clear the house of all the junk we don't need to eat but throughly enjoy. Happy New Year.

Heckety said...

Oh poor you. It always horrifies me how low a cold can lay one, just a measly little cold and you feel shockingly awful.
I hope it passes soon and your head clears as its no fun. 5 days is quite some cold- there was a rotten one going round here before Christmas which everyone got but I was so busy I was practically living in Church and it was so cold I think the actual cold got killed off!!!

Mari said...

Sorry you are sick. We went to church this morning and we are spending the rest of the day together, as Andy leaves in the morning.
Hope you feel better soon!

Mich said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

Hubby and I put away the Christmas tree today, and I'm enjoying some quiet time this evening before I got back to my little kiddos tomorrow. Sorry you're not feeling well. Take lots of Vitamin C. :)

Rita said...

I'm so sorry that you caught a cold and are feeling bad. Here's hoping that you will enjoy that quiet time, rest and get better real soon! That's my prayer for you. Happy New Year! It has to get better!

Joyce said...

Hope you're feeling better today Kat!

Darcie said...

Sorry to hear you are under the weather! Get feeling better soon.

David C Brown said...

The Lord sends the little troubles as well as the big ones. We turn to Him when there's a big problem - but not always when its a little one. That why He doesn't let men cure the common cold!

KJ said...

I pray you're healed and made whole! The Cure of Old is drinking plenty of liquids and getting a lot of rest. I'm blessed by your word of acknowledge in the Lord, please continue to blog for the glory of the God. Be Cold Free in Jesus Name!