Friday, May 29, 2015

Are You A Follower of Jesus or Just a Facebook Friend?



Face it most of us know what it means to be a Facebook friend. Most of the people who "friend" you aren't really your friends. They might be connecting with you because you have something in common or simply as a way of upping their "friend" count on their own page. Pretty much just like Twitter, you can have followers, but most are simply business connections or people with similar interests or merely just another way to see how high you can get your Twitter follower count. I've even seen celebrities do this in an effort to be the first one to get to a Million Followers or a Million Friends on Social Media.

Makes you wonder what would happen if Jesus had a Facebook account. A real one, by the way, not one someone created. Would you simply be a "friend" of Jesus or a true follower? We can ask that today, because so many people who wear the "Christian" label are a far cry from being a true follower of Jesus. But you know what I always say, "Don't follow me, follow Jesus."

He is the only one who is perfect in every single way. Me, I will fall short on so many occasions and I don't want people to base their expectations of what a "Christian" should look like based on my short comings.

I'm not Jesus. Just someone trying to do their best to live up to Jesus' expectations of what He wants in my life.

Thank God when I became a Christian, He didn't go to work on all my flaws right away. I am a work in progress and will be until the day I die. I don't think I could handle it if He put up a construction sign on my life, because you know what, I'd be that way until He called me home. That is why I am still here in fact.

So how can you tell if you are a true Follower of Jesus or simply just a Follower like on Twitter or a Facebook friend to Jesus?

1. A Follower of Jesus will walk the same road every day. Meaning simply this. Each and every day, habitually, not just on Sunday! Every day is the Lord's Day. He wants to be a part of every part of our day.

Romans 13:14 ~ "Rather, clothes yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature. "

We need to be putting on Jesus like we do our clothes every morning. We would NEVER leave our homes without them. Every morning, we should take time out for Jesus, and the Word of God. Invite Him prayerfully into your day.

Proverbs 8:17 ~ "I love those who love me, and those who seek me will find me."

Jesus wants to be your friend and your companion. Truly there is NO greater presence I would want in my life, than Jesus. He is just waiting to reveal His heart and plans to us. You can prove your a follower of Jesus, but doing what He commands. It is words accompanied by actions, every single day.

Many will say they follow Jesus but their actions will betray their words.

1 Peter 2:9 ~ "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light."

In Matthew 9:9 ~ "As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow me," he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.

Matthew left a position of authority with Rome, he was in a very prestigious position. He was perhaps one of the disciples who gave up quite literally the most to follow Jesus. He made the greatest sacrifice.

Philippians 3:8 ~ "What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Jesus Christ my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ."

Luke 9:23 ~ "Then he said to them all: :If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."

To do that you need to deny yourself and glorify God. There is life in turning down things that tear you down spiritually.

Stop thinking about yourself and think about Jesus. Present it all to Him and seek His will instead of your own.

Think about Matthew:

He lost his career, but gained a destiny.

He lost his material possessions, but gained a spiritual fortune.

He lost his temporary security, but gained eternal life.

He lost his emptiness and loneliness, but found fulfillment and companionship.

He gave up all the world had to offer, and he found Jesus.

What did Matthew do after he left to follow Jesus?

He threw a party with all his old friends and right in the middle of it was Jesus.

Matthew 9:10 ~ "While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew's house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with him and his disciples."

Matthew is showing the classic sign of a new believers and is hanging out with all his old friends. Those who know the most, usually do the least; while those who know the least, usually do the most. People who are new in Christ are usually the first to volunteer when their is a need in the church. In face 80% of those who come to Christ, do so by those who have only known Jesus for 2 years or less. They have that fire and zeal that most of us are lacking who have been in our faith longer.

2. A Follower of Jesus can't say "Goodbye" to their old life fast enough.

3. A Follower of Jesus loves people. To love people as much as Jesus did, not just those like you! Some people have no problem loving God, but not the church. If you're not walking with God, you will feel uncomfortable around Godly people.

1 John 4:20-21 ~ "If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, who he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother."

This means we need to love everyone, especially other Christians!

4. A Follower of Jesus cares about non believers and wants to reach them. Will have a deep desire for them to know Jesus.

5. A Follower of Jesus should be able to say, "Follow me, as I follow Christ."

1 Corinthians 11:1 ~ "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ."

Can you say that right now?

YOU are the only representative3 of Jesus some people will ever see! People are forming opinions of God, based on what they see in You! That's why you want to make sure to be a good example. It doesn't mean we have to be perfect or flawless, simply an authentic, honest, humble, follower of Jesus.

1 comment:

LV said...

I had Facebook a short time. I did like some of the things that was being put on it. I do not use it anymore. Keep up the great work of trying to keep us informed on the Biblical words.