Monday, March 24, 2014

It's the Things We Can't See We Have To Worry About



Spring is finally here! Everyone is saying it from all forms of social media the message is clear. Spring is in the air. Although for some, winter still presides like a sentry that won't give up its post. We know it's coming but it certainly is taking its time getting here. For me as I sit here at my desk typing this blog post, I am looking at the window watching tiny snow-like pollen drift into the winds that are blowing westward to some unknown location. For us here in the desert in California, we have had only two days of rain that made up our "winter." It spells disaster because we are already suffering from a horrible drought. Every time I drive past the water reservoir in Gilroy, it deeply saddens me. Every lake is well below the drought lines more so than ever before and its frightening. For us, the season hasn't changed like we had hoped. Winter simply never showed up and that means it will be a brutal summer.

For me, it means that allergies are going to be worse than ever before. I now have to monitor things like the pollen forecast because of the things in the air I can see, but much worse is the things I can't see that will make me miserable. It means having boxes of tissue handy, allergy medicines and keeping the windows shut tight and avoid outdoor activities like sitting in the backyard and enjoying all the beautiful flowers that are just beginning to bloom in abundance. All those flowers like freesia, carnations and lavender that I have been patiently waiting for, I can't really enjoy because it might mean days of allergies, difficulty breathing, sneezing and watery eyes.

But you know, I can't pass up the opportunity when the winds aren't blowing or in the cooler evening hours to get outside for a short time and enjoy it as brief as I can. Sin is a lot like that. It begins in the smallest of ways. It creeps up on you when you least expect it and before you know it, you are in hot water. It begins in the most innocent of ways. Talking to people about your marriage problems with the opposite sex, even if they are simply your very best friend. Sampling a slice of bread while struggling on your diet, or taking just a bite of something you know simply isn't going to help you get to your weight loss goal. There is never such a thing as one innocent bite. That is how cravings form.

We need to be on guard for the things we can't see. The ones that destroy in the subtle ways, slowly at first. It begins in our thoughts, then moves into words and before we know it action. Sometimes we don't even realize it's happening before we are really in a place we wish we had never been before. The Bible is very clear that our enemy is always looking for a way to bring us down. To find a place where we are weak. The battle is never ending for him and he is looking for a way to devour us and lead us away from doing what we know we should be doing.

That is why we need to guard our thoughts. Nothing is innocent simply because we think about it. I mean we aren't doing it right? Wrong! Those thoughts are your own. Ask God to remove those thoughts from you and to think on things that are of God instead. Picture this if you're unsure about your thoughts...if you had a giant television screen above your head where everyone could see what you are thinking, are you okay with what they are seeing? If not, you might want to turn that program off and pray.

There is nothing like a white lie or a little sin. Sin is sin! We need to do everything we can to make sure it doesn't take root and make our lives miserable. It's the things we can't see, that we have to worry about things like pollen and things like sin. We have to take preventive measures to ensure we aren't miserable. For me and my allergies, it's my allergy medicine and doing the right things to prevent myself from being attacked either way. For protecting myself against sin, it's spending time with my Bible and learning more about God's truth so I can see the lies when they come. It helps me have a more happy life and set better examples for my family. It's realizing as long as I am living, those attacks will come but I don't always have to fail. With God's help, I can enjoy my life and bring glory to His name everyday walking in the life He has planned for me. It's so much better that way than trying to do it myself.

James 1: 13-15 NIV ~ "When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death."

Philippians 4:8 NIV ~ "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

3 comments:

David C Brown said...

Testing
Walk in the Spirit and ye shall no way fulfil flesh's lusts, Gal 5: 16.

Denise said...

Amen, my wise friend. I love you.

Sharon said...

I also suffer from allergies - and from sin, I might add! Great, thought-provoking post. We are indeed wise to keep on the look-out for the small things that might trip us up.

GOD BLESS!