Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Darkest Day in All of History


I sometimes wonder just what that Saturday felt like following the crucifixion felt like to those that witnessed it first hand.

I can only imagine the grief that Jesus' mother endured not only having to bring this wonderful child into the world but to stand at the foot of the cross and watch all this happening to a son she knew perfectly well was not guilty. I would have to say she spent the night with close family members and friends.

The disciples must have gathered together after having been spread about the city because the Bible states in all the gospel accounts that none were there but then how did gospels capture the story. Did they flee the city hoping to avoid capture after the garden? I feel that they did. They reunited some how and endured this day remembering those times that they walked with Him and the lessons they learned, miracles they saw Him perform. I even expect an occasional laugh came through too about some funny thing that remembered Jesus doing.

I wonder how Peter felt the day after his denial of Jesus. I wonder just how many "what if's" he played out in his mind. I personally feel that Peter felt the worst. He was now living the life of regrets. A life he probably felt he could take back and wished he could. I see Peter sitting among the rest of the disciplines in the Upper Room but isolated from the others in tears.

So they all united together with one another grieving over the loss of what they must have questioned was the true Messiah. I guess He wasn't really the one we had hoped for? It can't have ended this way? Surely we have missed something? What will happen now?

These are all questions I am sure ran through the mind of the believers and followers of Jesus Christ.

Yet this particular day was still a day of lost hope. I can't imagine anyone somewhere thinking, Hey wait remember what Jesus said, He always spoke in parables, didn't He say something about rebuilding the temple in 3 days, do you think it means Him? If so, won't He be coming back again?

I seriously doubt it because the Bible does not record this day. I can only imagine it was the longest day any of them had ever experienced in their life. Life without hope can do that to you. Rob you of time, of joy, of life even if you let it.

Heaven must have fallen silent at that very moment Christ died as well. I can only imagine the grief that God experienced after having to punish his son, who did no wrong with all the sins of man, past, present and future as those He personally had committed them all. God grief must have been greater than we would ever know. I am sure the angels were weeping. Heaven for a brief moment must have fallen silent.

In the world I am sure that Satan and his enemies were having a great old laugh at God's expense too! Fists being thrown in the air at God, mocking him that even his only perfect son, could not bear the power of death. That they had won!

Yet as we know not even the power of death could hold back our Savior. For at that moment he was in the pit of hell taking back the keys of death from Satan and his minions because in a few short hours, the world would know for certain that Christ will rise from the dead. We all know that Jesus was still on the throne, still in power and still working in the details. Wait til tomorrow!

Little however did the disciples now the majesty of what would await them in the morning. But for now, I am choosing to reflect and remember just what Jesus has done in my life today and how if it weren't for Him, I would be hopeless and lost.

If you are feeling like the bottom has fallen out of your world, if you have lost hope, the will to move forward past today, if you feel completely all alone in whatever your facing and you don't know Jesus, I would encourage you today to seek Him. He will completely rewrite your book, the challenges you face you won't face alone. He is the ultimate in redemption, forgiveness and hope. If you'd like to give Jesus a try just simply pray this prayer:

Lord Jesus,

I know that everything I've tried in my life has left me feeling alone and empty. That nothing this world has to offer can fill the place in my life that only You were meant to. I realize now, I can do nothing without You, and I don't want to any longer. I realize I am a sinner and I don't want that life anymore. I turn from the things of this world, and ask You to come into my life. Forgive me Jesus for all the things in my life that are wrong and messed up. Fill me with Your Spirit.

I know You are the Son of God, that you came down here to Earth to sacrifice Yourself unconditionally for the payment of my sins, past, present and future. I know it was through your sacrifice on the cross that you paid the payment once and for all through You blood that was shed. That You died but on the third day, You rose again victorious over the power of death. That simply believing in You and asking You to come into my life, I am forgiven, I am restored, I am saved and when this life is over, I will have a forever home in Heaven with you. In Jesus Name, Amen.

I would encourage you if you have prayed that prayer and meant it with your whole heart, you have just increased the population in heaven by one and there is a celebration going on in the heavens just for you. Now it's time to make your life count. Pick up a Bible and begin reading the book of John to learn more about Jesus. Welcome home!

3 comments:

Mari said...

I agree, that Saturday had to have been a very bleak day. What did the the disciples think and talk about? We know that Sunday came and that changed everything!

LV said...

It definitely is a day above my understanding. Just think where we would be today if it had not happened. Trust you had a nice weekend.

David C Brown said...

It is interesting that the Scriptures give almost no indication of that day. But when the Lord Jesus said (in John 14: 27), "I leave peace with you; I give my peace to you: not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it fear", do you think He had that day specially in mind?