Thursday, August 22, 2013

Are You a Secret Agent Christian?



Most of us understand the passage of scripture that bears the message that we would know a person by the type of fruit they produce. Being a huge garden lover, when it comes to spring time and planting of seeds, I have to make sure that I place signs in the area to help me identify the plants that will begin to sprout for and grow. Just like the other week, my husband and I both came across some extra seed packages we had left over from our previous move.

Having a few extra pots laying around with nothing growing in them, we each set about planting seeds in various pots. I took the time to carefully label mine so I would know if I was growing an herb or merely a flowering plant. My hubby however, just diligently got to the task at hand. Pushing seeds into the soil, covering them up, and watering them thoroughly. When we finished, I had three pots in which I had planted marigolds, carnations and sunflowers and each was labeled so I knew which was which.

Hubby's pots on the other hand we void of all identification. When I walked over to one of the pots and asked what was in this one, he looked at me and said, I think cilantro.

"Cilantro? Are you sure?"

"I think so. Wait! Maybe I planted peppers in that one and cilantro in this one."

You can see where this story is headed right?

Needless to say, it will remain a mystery until the plants are large enough to either show us what they are based on what they look like or the type of produce each one will bear. At that time, we won't have need of labels.

But it does bring to mind, if you're a Christian, are you encountering any time of persecution in your life right now?

Hmm, might be difficult if the answer is No, because perhaps it's the company you're keeping. Are you hanging out with only Christians like yourself. Could be the reason you are persecution or problem free right now.

Other reason is that you're a Secret Agent Christian!

Well we all know there isn't such a thing right?

Wrong! The Bible says we would know one another by the types of fruit we bear. In the end, we will all be judged. Let's look at that context in Matthew 25: 31-46 (NIV)

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Perhaps if you are not going through any difficulty or trials right now, you might want to re-examine your life. The Bible speaks clearly in Matthew 7:15-17

“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?  Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit."

Perhaps you might believe that simply being a good person and doing good things will be enough in this life. But trust me, when your life is over, you will be cast among the goats unless you have accepted Christ as your personal Savior. 

It is not through works that gain us a place in heaven but through believing that Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to get there. If you don't like that message, I guess you'll have to take it up with Jesus because He is the one, that claims that in John 14: 6 "Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." 

That is our ONLY guaranteed. Anything else is simply fooling ourselves that when we get to the end of this life, we will get to go to Heaven. 

So I would encourage you as a believer in Christ, we will ALL go through trials and tribulations, persecution, because of who we believe in. The only difference between our struggles and those of unbelievers is we have HOPE in ours. We know no matter how difficult things get we still have Jesus on our side. He will get us through it. If not on this side, then when we make it to our heavenly home. 

It might be a good time to ensure you aren't fulfilling your role as a Secret Agent Christian. Perhaps you don't want to "rock the boat" but trust me, time is running short. We need to stand firm, rooted in the truth of what God tells us, and if we are willing to do that, trust me, the world will let you know. 

Let's make sure we are bearing much fruit in our lives for God's glory. 

It is His goal that NONE shall perish and that ALL will come to know Him. Isn't time to make that choice today if you haven't and have come upon this message today. 

You didn't wind up here by chance. 

God had a purpose for you finding your way here. 

Don't leave today, without the eternal hope of knowing where you'll be spending your eternity. 

Trust me, there are two places where you will wind up. 

Either Heaven, my preference for everyone. 

Or Hell, and trust me, it's not going to be a party place for you and all your crazy friends. It will be a place of torment and punishment. There is no way out once you find yourself there. 

Ready to make a change? 

It's simple. 

God will hear you when you speak. It's simply a gift He's willing to extend to you. No matter what you've done in your life, God can erase it all and give you freedom from your sin. 

Ask Him into your life. Tell Him to make Himself known to You. 

Tell Him you're a sinner and need His forgiveness. 

Tell Him you believe His promises that He is the ONLY way to redemption and to show you the way. 

Tell Him you believe He is the Son of God who was sent here to die for your sins, to die on the cross for you as payment and was raised on the third day and now lives in Heaven at the right hand of God. 

Tell Him to keep you in His care and to show you a new life you can have to day. 

If you have done that and meant it with your heart, you are a NEW creation in Jesus Christ. 

I would encourage you to find a church and a friend who is a believer and let them know so they can help you on your way to learning more about where you'll be spending an eternity now. Welcome to the family!!

Feel free to share this message with anyone who needs it. 




3 comments:

Down On The Farm said...

What an awesome message for today! So very true. We need to be the salt and light. We are to be the hands and feet of Jesus.

Sharon said...

I remember a reference from C.S. Lewis (I think) about the fact that we are really living in enemy territory. That the world is ruled by a cruel dictator, and we belong to the *other side*.

May we be bold in our witness, even if it brings persecution. For this fallen world has never needed a Savior more.

GOD BLESS!

David C Brown said...

"And salvation is in none other, for neither is there another name under heaven which is given among men by which we must be saved".