Friday, January 6, 2012

One Perfect Word ~ Trust


I've been reading a book that just came out from one of my favorite authors, Debbie Macomber, called One Perfect Word. It's about focusing the entire year on just one word and making that your personal focus for the year. Praying on it, seeking God's will for that in your life and just studying it.

The book is really eye opening in that Debbie is very honest and forth coming on her journey to becoming a writer. Prior to having her books published, she wrote in journals a lot about her struggles and thoughts. Looking back at her own writing, she can see where God has taken her through each year and thus the reason why the personal focus on the "one word" has come into play.

She shares some of those word years with the reader in the book and encourages us to do the same. Along the way she shares with you how to go about picking your word of the year. Maybe it's something that keeps coming across your prayers, conversations and Bible study. Perhaps you should talk to friends and see what they believe it should be. She offers some interesting ways to go about seeing how that word will play out during the year as well from having it engraved in stone, carrying a reminder with you to pray about it during your days or having it written on a card or plaque.

I think the idea is beautiful and can help us to focus on smaller things, not bigger ones like committing a chapter or verse to memory each week but rather learn to see how God is working on your life through one simple word. It is in this endeavor I seek your help as my readers who have known me since blogging. I have chosen the word TRUST for my word of the year and I would love to know what you think this word means to you and would love to have your share your thoughts either with me in my comment section or privately in email if you feel God is leading you in that manner.

I would also encourage you to pray for me in this area if the thought should come your way at any point in the year. I am going to keep my own journal and see where God and I journey on this for 2012. Your prayers are always encouraging and much appreciated. If you would like to join me on this journey, please send me a link and I'll add you to my prayers as well. Who knows where God will lead this year, but I am dedicating this journey to Him and as always seeking His will for me in my life.

8 comments:

Denise said...

Such a great word my friend. My word for 2012, is healing. I will gladly pray for you, and ask that you keep me in your prayers. I love you.

Terra said...

I hear you, dear friend, since my word for the year is Listen, so I had better listen, right.
I think you will Trust this year; that is a lovely guiding word.
I did not know there is a whole book about the concept. My current blog post is asking folks to share their 2012 word and so far about 30 people have shared there.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I don't read often enough but she writes great books. I haven't picked a word for this year but haven several coming to me. I will pray for you and your word.

Kathleen said...

The simple is always better than it's counterpart. It's like stuffing a bite sized morsel into one's mouth instead of the whole cake or pot roast.

I like the word trust. I doubt any of us could obey the Lord without it. It also implies that we know Him; that we've spent time in His presence & word - enough to know He is trustworthy.

Bless you on this journey!
Kathleen

Joyce said...

I've never had a word for the year before but this year have felt prompted to do so. Mine this year is rejoice. I'll pray for you and your word-its a good one!

David C Brown said...

"Blessed are all who have their trust in him", Psalm 2: 12, s one of my favourite verses.
We trust someone we really know.

Bernadine said...

Last year for me was all about trust. This year it's joy. Thanks for sharing your word for the year. I'll keep you in my prayers.

♥ my diary♥ said...

nice post...thanks for sharing...blessings soraya